Glowstick fumes dangerous?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 EmoHobbit

EmoHobbit

Account Type: Standard

• 62 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:10 AM EST

So, yesterday, i was practicing in my room, and i noticed a oddly familar smell, the smell of a busted glowstick. i checked my sticks and there wasnt any leaking, but i could smell the liquid coming from the blunt end. I prolly should just get some new sticks, but i havnt been able to. so i was sittin here sniffing my glowsticks and suddenly i thought, wtf am i doing? this could be really bad for me.

sooooo... I was wondering if the fumes were dangerous at all, as killing brain cells/ damaging my lungs dangerous?

Ive read that there were some nasty chemicals in glowsticks that would be.. well, not very pleasant if ingested.

#2 LilRaverBoi

LilRaverBoi

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 13,561 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:24 PM EST

Well, I know that you definitely shouldn't ingest the contents (not that anyone would except some candy~flipped raver that thinks it's a test tube of some crazy glow serum...lol) The chemicals could definitely make you sick or possibly be fatal...although the real harm would come from the tiny glass shards contained within....ouch. Not what you want in your digestive tract.

As far as inhalation, probably not really good either. I've never really heard of anything negative in this regard, although the flowlight people say that the esters given off by glowsticks can weaken the structural integrity of the plastic they use in the casing for their flowpoi, making it brittle. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend inhaling excessive amounts. I'm sure you're fine with what you've experienced, but I recommend getting new sticks that don't leak and not huffing your sticks....lol.

#3 Psilocyn

Psilocyn

• 130 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:29 PM EST

Mmmmm tasty tasty glow serum....

I don't think its a big issues. Most say "non-toxic" on the label so you should be fine but like LilRaver said that glass is nasty stuff.

#4 Kythos

Kythos

• 1,405 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:30 PM EST

i agree with the BA in Bio. mmmhm.

i verify his comment that Flowtoys.com stated, the chemicals in the glowsticks can actually make the dense polycarbonate shell that they use brittle enough to crack, the same stuff used in bulletproof glass. so im sure thats not too healthy for your tummy.

your lungs should be fine, but with everything 2 much is 2 much.

#5 dancefLoor

dancefLoor

Account Type: Super Moderator

• 3,464 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:02 PM EST

It smells like 300 sharpies.

#6 EmoHobbit

EmoHobbit

• 62 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:32 PM EST

kk thx the sticks arnt actually busted, it just smells like it and there seems to be less liquid in there when i started...

note to self:
  • stop huffing the sticks

#7 drksithmaster

drksithmaster

• 184 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:43 PM EST

So it's bad for you if you bust the glowstick and put the juice in you mouth with glass(glass cut's you mouth and the juice gets in the cut and burns like a mofo) and run up to your freind and spit it in her face. How bad do you think this is for me or my freind.

#8 LilRaverBoi

LilRaverBoi

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 13,561 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:03 AM EST

So it's bad for you if you bust the glowstick and put the juice in you mouth with glass(glass cut's you mouth and the juice gets in the cut and burns like a mofo) and run up to your freind and spit it in her face. How bad do you think this is for me or my freind.

Um....did either of you have HIV, Hepatitis or Ebola? Cause if so, you're probably fine....lol.

#9 drksithmaster

drksithmaster

• 184 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:16 PM EST

No I do not have any of that I was just playing around with her. She had my paintball googles on besause she did not want the glow stick to hit her in the eye. I'am trying to teach her how to string and she is doing good for 1 month of stringing.

#10 LilRaverBoi

LilRaverBoi

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 13,561 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:39 PM EST

Wow...I totally thought you were joking, but apparently you're serious. Um...I wouldn't ever try that one again. As far as effects go, having the stuff on your intact skin probably isn't that bad, but in your mouth (especially with cuts) would not be good. However, if you're still here to write this, i'm sure you're just fine.

#11 drksithmaster

drksithmaster

• 184 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:11 PM EST

All's it did was burn a little. I went in side and put some bread in my mouth( This is what you do when you are stringing and bust the inside of your mouth open... It stops the bleeding fast... and you can eat the bread after words... might be a little nasty though) and it stoped bleeding but when I play night games with that mask it had a faint glow to it... kind of scary becuase if your in the woods and you see some thing glowing and shooting at you. poeple do 1 of two things. one call them selfs out really fast or just spazz out and just start shooting it is really funny

#12 Lupinze3rd

Lupinze3rd

• 116 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:15 PM EST

I found this on a website about glowsticks being bad for you.. not that it says anything about how fumes hurt you but i think the chemical mix might be bad for your skin and diffenitly not something to eat!

I recently attended a white-trash theme party which featured a real live stripper who, as part of her act, opened up glow sticks (the kind kids get at Halloween) and poured the fluorescent liquid on her body. The effect was, um, interesting, but I couldn't stop wondering what that glow stuff really is and whether or not it's such a good idea to coat your naked, undulating body with it.
-- The Duck, San Diego
Pa Alice offered to do the research on this one -- hang around after the show and keep an eye on the stripper in case she needs CPR or to check for nasty rashes. I told him we could handle it. I turned down the elves' offer to pour glow-stick stuff on my naked, undulating body instead. So we were reduced to our usual tactic of presenting our questions to strangers on the street until one of them comes up with a halfway reasonable-sounding answer or until we run out of time. In the case of the glowing stripper, I think we've got the naked facts for ya. And I'm glad to report, the lady will live to strip again.
Glow sticks come in many different forms and go by many names, but they all work basically the same way. Two chemicals mix, and the resulting reaction gives off a cold light. Chemiluminescence is the general name for the process. The specific glow-stick technology was developed with money from the Department of Defense, using fireflies as the biological model. And thanks to the unstoppable American imagination, not only do strippers now find the stuff handy, so do cows. More on them later.
Anatomy of a glow stick: Inner glass capsule containing a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and a phthalate ester solvent. Outer soft plastic capsule (in the form of a stick, necklace, earrings, button, whatever...) containing phenyl oxalate ester and fluorescent dye. Snap the inner capsule, and the resulting mixture frantically transfers oxygen atoms around, creating an unstable compound that gives off energy to the dye, then decomposes into carbon dioxide. The energized dye radiates the colored light you see in the light stick. In a cold environment, the chemical reaction is slowed so the light is dimmer but longer lasting. The opposite, of course, if it's hot. Two major manufacturers of glow sticks say there's nothing in this soup of alcohol and acids that will hurt you if you get it on your skin. I don't think they had your stripper in mind when they said that, and she probably has to be careful of any glass shards that might be released, but a quick post-performance sponge bath should put her out of danger. (Though my attorney suggests that you forget I ever answered this question if you're not an experienced stripper with at least a B-plus average in two semesters of organic chemistry.) Some chemically created cold light uses a mixture that includes sodium hydroxide, which is potentially dangerous.

#13 Backlashhost

Backlashhost

• 61 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:22 PM EST

eet fergat zee cows!!

#14 EmoHobbit

EmoHobbit

• 62 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:26 PM EST

k, so, im gona cut open a fresh glowstick, pour the insides out (carefully removing the glass vial inside, unbroken) and mix the juice with my hair gel, spike my hair, then when i get to the rave spray some peroxide on with a small spray bottle...

think it'll work?

or will i just be seriosly screwing my hair up?

#15 DemonOfNight

DemonOfNight

• 134 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:55 PM EST

k, so, im gona cut open a fresh glowstick, pour the insides out (carefully removing the glass vial inside, unbroken) and mix the juice with my hair gel, spike my hair, then when i get to the rave spray some peroxide on with a small spray bottle...

think it'll work?

or will i just be seriosly screwing my hair up?

no it wont, hydrogen peroxcide fux with ur hair badly, I fergot exactly how, but it does, they sell stufff that does the same thing in a gel thing.....look for it on the rave ads from google on the main forum page....the stores should have it there

#16 EmoHobbit

EmoHobbit

• 62 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:59 PM EST

hmm.. yea... i remember hearing somthing like that...

doenst it like bleach your hair?

ive heard it being used as a substatute for bleach...

yea, ill prolly just go get the real stuff... :P

#17 LilRaverBoi

LilRaverBoi

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 13,561 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:18 AM EST

Yeah, i'm guessing that would bleach your hair out....probably not a good idea...although it kinda sounds neat :( There used to be a cool glowing hair gel available through homeofpoi (although I can't seem to find it right now). If you want glowing hair...use the UV hair spray stuff from walmart or make a highlighter tea with minimal water (although both require blacklight to glow...FYI)

#18 SoLoR6

SoLoR6

• 1,050 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:35 PM EST

You're gonna die hommie ......

You should be alright ..... I used to put that stuff in my mouth when I was a kid and I turned out ok. ............ Where am I?
HAHAHAHa

#19 TommyRaver

TommyRaver

• 1,034 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:42 PM EST

As long as your hooks are not broken and the casing is intact. You should be ok.

#20 Siler

Siler

EMT-P

• 1,852 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:40 AM EST

I am a cosmetologist, and I wouldn't advise putting peroxide in your hair...

It won't fuck it up, but it will dry it out... Possibly... Depending on how much you put in there... You'll prolly be fine, unless you have an artificial color... Then depending on how well it's sunk into your hair's color pigments, it might burn the die out, leaving you with a mixture of patches of miscolored tones....

But as long as your hair isn't dyed, i'd say go ahead if you want to... I wouldn't, I'd just go get some of that glow in the dark gel...

But it's your hair... My advise, no, don't, but if you do, try using the smallest amount of peroxide you can...

As for the cyalume, I'm not sure, cosmetology doesn't cover popppin glowsticks in your hair suprisingly... lol I think you should be fine, but like I said, I have parts of me thinking that it'll fuck with ur hair if it's dyed... Unless of course it is and you want to redo it... Then by all means, do it, then go get a hair treatment thing from walmart... They are like 3 bux and they help your hair so much... Then wait a day or so, and then redo your hair...

If you take my advice, the stuff comes in a small, 1-2 inch tall round cap lookin container, in a 2-4 inch box in heigth and width...