Kandi History

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Cassandar

Cassandar

Account Type: Standard

• 32 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:09 PM EST

I know we have all seen and probably made Kandi - bright colorful (usually plastic) necklaces and bracelets worn mostly by Kandi kids. They are made with happiness from the heart to show and share plur with other people. But I have never heard how Kandi was started, or why. And with some searching I couldn't find an answer. Anyone know? (and a better deffinition would be nice too, I dont think mine does it justice lols)

#2 DjWrath

DjWrath

DJ

• 799 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:45 PM EST

People at raves who sold Ecstacy wore Kandi and bright colours so they could be noticed at a rave, and back then, Kandi was known as the Ecstacy drug. The beads represented the drugs. It kind of caught onto other ravers eventually, and now you have kandi kids.

#3 dancefLoor

dancefLoor

Account Type: Super Moderator

• 3,464 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:07 PM EST

I kinda thought thats how it all started.

#4 rainbowsandme

rainbowsandme

• 57 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:18 PM EST

haha thats kinda funny because now you hear kandi kids like bashing E and everything. That was a laugh out loud moment. rad :D

#5 Cassandar

Cassandar

• 32 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:20 PM EST

oh cool thanks. I actually thought it might have to do with actual candy necklaces.

#6 DjWrath

DjWrath

DJ

• 799 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:23 AM EST

haha thats kinda funny because now you hear kandi kids like bashing E and everything. That was a laugh out loud moment. rad :D
Yeah, it's a bit of an oxymoron. Well for oldskool raving anyways. LOL :D

#7 oOoMissEoOo

oOoMissEoOo

• 107 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:22 AM EST

The candy raver fashion has totally made a huge turn since when I had started raving.

#8 mstrmnd

mstrmnd

Account Type: Moderator

• 310 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:42 AM EST

oh cool thanks. I actually thought it might have to do with actual candy necklaces.
that's what i thought too. but the actual answer by djwrath makes the most sense.

#9 B0NE

B0NE

• 180 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:18 PM EST

some of the dealers just wear bandanas now to signify that they are holding product. it's a little more subtle but a lot of places in arizona picked up pretty quick and therefore banned bandana wearing at the raves. doesn't matter though, my pills and my bandana [and my vicks and my lights] all got in successfully every single time.
haha, fuck the police, and make friends with the security guards.

#10 oOoMissEoOo

oOoMissEoOo

• 107 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:01 PM EST

LOLzzzzz must be something new in the party scene. Here in Southern California, by looking at recent pix, that fashion of the bandanas has taken over. EVeryone looks like they're from the old west now. What's missing is the cowboy hats!

#11 LittleBrie

LittleBrie

• 698 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:33 PM EST

LOLzzzzz must be something new in the party scene. Here in Southern California, by looking at recent pix, that fashion of the bandanas has taken over. EVeryone looks like they're from the old west now. What's missing is the cowboy hats!

haha thats actually pretty funny

#12 A2ianpride

A2ianpride

• 1,192 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:05 PM EST

Putting the drug thing aside, there is other things that make kandi nice too. Kandi I believe also represents rebelion towards soceity, against its standards and rules. Kandi also represents the importance of individualism in our scene, be who you are, no matter what, no matter when. We don't care how you look on the outside, we're looking for whats in the inside. Those are important prospects of Kandi too.

Besides, its also a symbol of raving, it distinguishes us from the other subcultures. Like how gangstas have their asses below their ass even though in reality that's suppose to mean I'm looking for a boyfriend. I forgot when that was established, but I think it was established in prison, the whole boyfriend thing.

#13 Dster

Dster

• 440 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:24 PM EST

Well my understanding about were kandi came about. There was people out there in raves that gave out candy to people so thay would not OD on drugs. Then it went from passing out candy ( candy you eat) then thay started to pass out kandi to people.

But thats my understand on how kandi came about. But i could be roung.

#14 starlet

starlet

Account Type: Moderator

• 1,111 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:58 AM EST

wow, thats really interesting. Wiki says This about it.

Asian, i think the pants thing is because belts are confiscated from inmates in prisons so they can't hang themselves, same way laces are taken away from them too...

#15 DJWALDO

DJWALDO

• 2,250 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:08 AM EST

Kandy (or "kandi") is generally made of plastic pony beads with various other beads. Heart and star shapes, pom-pom beads, letter beads, and glow-in-the-dark beads are popular choices when making kandi and are generally made with elastic string to stretch. Candy ravers will sometimes hold parties just for the sake of making kandi, generally as gifts for friends.
Kandi has two main functions.

[edit] Visual effect

The first is the visual effect that kandi creates. They are usually very bright day-glo colors chosen especially for the purpose of the visual effects created when someone dances wearing them while being illuminated by different types and colours of lights. The sequence of colors chosen will often appear jumbled and somewhat random but the beads are typically chosen to contrast with other beads making them visually jump out. Some beads will also be UV reactive and glow in the dark.

#16 LilRaverBoi

LilRaverBoi

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 13,559 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:17 PM EST

Well, here's what I read somewhere (maybe on kanditrade.com a LONG LONG time ago).

Originally, kandi was worn to signify that someone had ecstasy to sell. They used the visual impact of the kandi to help them be spotted in a crowd and also sometimes used the bracelets to smuggle their product in, by actually stringing pills onto their bracelets along with beads to hide them for successful transport (although, to be honest, I think they'd just break in half and fall off...LOL...but who knows, just what I read).

Later, the trend continued to build as a non-substance-related raver subculture. The colorful beads were a fun and unique visual impact for partygoers and was also a cool way to show your generosity and affection towards others by giving them away or trading them with others. The patterns used for the bracelets have evolved from simple singles to now very complex 3D patterns, cuffs, ladders, etc. The are not really used for drug-related purposes (that I know of) in this day and age, but as more of a fashion statement and unique gift to give to others. I keep all the kandi I have received from other ravers as a momento of the evening and a cool way to remember various people and the great times we spent together.

However, I have no doubt that kandi evolved differently across the country (and world). I'm sure in many areas drugs had nothing to do with it, but the history I read, that was given as the motivating factor. Who knows....the meaning has definitely changed since its first introduction in the scene. Even now, the use of kandi continues to see waves of popularity and decline over the years, areas and subcultures.

#17 gl0znthedrk

gl0znthedrk

• 61 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:23 AM EST

they say the kandi kids were the ones who to0k care of all the fuked up katz at the parties...the were the staright edge kidz...

#18 DjWrath

DjWrath

DJ

• 799 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:20 PM EST

Originally, kandi was worn to signify that someone had ecstasy to sell. They used the visual impact of the kandi to help them be spotted in a crowd and also sometimes used the bracelets to smuggle their product in, by actually stringing pills onto their bracelets along with beads to hide them for successful transport (although, to be honest, I think they'd just break in half and fall off...LOL...but who knows, just what I read).

Later, the trend continued to build as a non-substance-related raver subculture. The colorful beads were a fun and unique visual impact for partygoers and was also a cool way to show your generosity and affection towards others by giving them away or trading them with others.

Pretty close to what I said Lol. I heard the story from a kandi kid friend of mine who had a major lesbian crush on me.

#19 ONIEL

ONIEL

• 1,033 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:20 PM EST

SO...Kandi Kids now at days Look down on X? But doesnt a binki on a Kandi Kid mean otherwise?
Glad I found this post, I thought Kandi braclets were just the raver version of friend ship braclets xD
Good to know some history when your gonna try something new.

#20 DJWALDO

DJWALDO

• 2,250 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:00 PM EST

SO...Kandi Kids now at days Look down on X? But doesnt a binki on a Kandi Kid mean otherwise?

Not a "Kandi Kid" nor have ever claimed to be, but I know plenty of them, and I don't think theres really that much thought put into it. Just an observation...and it could just be an East Coast thang, but many of the "Kandi Kids" kind of over do it,seems to be a non ending trend...head to toe in beads...